Sunday, January 25, 2009

Kinesio® Tape: What is that Stuff?

Kinesio® Tape: What is that Stuff?


The first time I noticed Kinesio® Tape was during the 2004 Summer Olympics, when I noticed Japan’s Men’s Gymnastics team had this tape all over their bodies. I was familiar with traditional athletic taping techniques which usually immobilizes the area covered. This tape however covered the arms, shoulders, and even the legs, and most importantly, did not restrict movement. The following year, while attending the Florida State Massage Therapy Association’ Annual Convention, I noticed several therapists walking around with this same tape on various parts of their bodies. So I enquired as to what that stuff was, and the answer… was Kinesio® Tape!

While attending the 2006 FSMTA convention, I took the Introduction to Kinesio® Taping course. It was a workshop aimed at introducing the foundations and basic principles behind the Kinesio® Tape, created by a Japanese chiropractor by the name of Dr. Kenzo Kase over 25 years ago in Japan. This tape he developed was first used in clinical rehabilitation settings as a “prescription” for his patients that were specifically designed to re-educate the neuromuscular system. Eventually, it began to be used by every professional sport in Japan. Kinesio® Tape was officially introduced in the United States in 1995, and was quickly used by professional teams throughout the US and even Europe. It is used in over 75% of the MLB teams, and over 50% of the NFL teams. It has even been used by Lance Armstrong and the United States Postal Service Cycling Team at the Tour de France!

It was discussed that the Kinesio® Tape when used in conjunction with massage therapy, whether it is a Swedish massage or sports massage, greatly increased the massage therapy benefits, well after the massage session ended. During one of the breaks, I asked the instructor about how the tape could help the ache in my shoulder. I was worried since I was going to be competing at the Fencing Summer National the following week, and was suffering from some rotator cuff irritation from training. The instructor taped me that afternoon (Friday), and the dull ache in my shoulder was all but gone. I competed the following Tuesday and again on Thursday with no pain. And the tape stayed on the whole time until I took it off on the following Friday. For one full week the Kinesio® Tape stayed on, supporting my shoulder. I was convinced!

Kinesio® Tape has received a lot of publicity this past year, thanks in large part to Keri Walsh at the 2008 Summer Olympics. She had the Kinesio® Tape all over her shoulder. All of a sudden, people were talking and asking questions about that “black tape.” I have incorporated the Kinesio® Tape into my Sports Massage practice with favorable results. I look forward to “taping” all of you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jason, I was delighted to read your post about Kinesio tape. I've been looking for this "magic" tape for years and years! Because I take Predisone,I have a chronic problem with bruising. I also have three big dogs, who love to romp and play with me, causing me to turn various shades of purple. I have tried many remedies and nothing has really worked--until Kinesio tape. A physical therapist introduced me to a flesh-colored version of the tape and it helped the bruises fade. I cut it into pieces the size of the bruises and it acts like camoflage while it lightens and heals. I have no idea how it works--hopefully Jason can explain--but I'm almost out of it and now I know where to get more!